On this episode of The Most Dwanderful Real Estate Podcast Ever, Dwan talks about the one thing that no one wants to do but sometimes has to be done: evictions. If your tenants violate any of the terms of your lease agreement, you can evict them based on the laws in your state. While late rent payments are one of the more common reasons for eviction, others could be damage to the property, unsanitary living conditions, more people living in the house than specified in the lease agreement, or having too many pets.
Dwan has found that if you evict tenants by going through the system and giving them a 3-day-notice, the tenants can sometimes become hostile and trash your property as a way of “getting even” with you. Of course, this costs you as the landlord a lot of money to clean up. So Dwan’s alternative plan is to go to the tenant and simply tell them that it is not working out for them to live in your property for the various reasons you have outlined and that you would like for them to move out by the end of the month. Since you know that moving is expensive, you will return their deposit plus an additional 50% of their deposit amount in cash to them if they leave the property on time and in broom swept condition. Ninety percent of the time, the tenants will take this deal and it is a win-win for everyone involved. If not, do not be afraid to evict them through the justice system and make their lives more difficult because they did the same for you.
If you haven’t heard, Dwan has dropped the fee to join the Dwanderful.com Membership Site, so now you have access to the document library, pop-up training calls, and the chat box for FREE!
Time Stamped Show Notes
- 1:24 – With her purple hair, Dwan’s granddaughter thinks she is Queen of the Unicorns and a superhero.
- 2:47 – Recap of last week.
- 4:36 – Dwan is still drinking live enzymes in anticipation of her doctor’s appointment.
- 7:49 – However, she is feeling much better than she was. This is a testament to the fact that “you are what you eat” since Dwan’s health has improved so much just since she started this strict diet.
- 14:21 – Today’s topic is eviction. Whether you want to or not, you will have to evict someone. Download the 3-day Eviction Notice document from the Dwanderful website.
- 17:31 – There are many reasons why people can be evicted beyond not paying their rent on time.
- 19:54 – Dwan discusses her solution to the problem of people leaving the property trashed after they are evicted.
- 24:06 – Dwan has always been clear with her tenants that this is a business for her, and she can make life difficult if she has to evict them.
- 27:51 – If the tenants don’t want to move based on the terms you outlined to them, don’t be intimidated to evict them, get a judgment on their record, and tell the truth if you are ever called to be a reference for them.
- 33:53 – Dwan wants to be #1 in the Investing podcast charts, and she has set a goal to have 1,000 subscribers by the end of September, so please do your part by subscribing and telling your friends to subscribe as well!
Connect with Dwan: